I posted a blog earlier in the year about entering Competitions and why we, as professional photographers, do this. As mentioned in the earlier blog, running a professional photographic studio is not easy, even more so in recent times, because everyone is a “photographer”. Not only are you competing with other professional photographers, but you need to constantly keep abreast of new trends, ideas and keep your creative energy alive. I was watching a programme on television recently and heard a phenomenal fact – apparently last year more than a trillion photographs were taken by people on holiday. Not all of them will be great photographs, but it’s mind-blowing how many images we see on a daily basis. But what sets a professional photographer apart from everyone else? Why would you decide to use a professional photographer? Here are just a few of the most important reasons:-
- You are buying their impeccable service to you, not just the pictures they take.
- They are properly insured which gives you peace of mind.
- They have artistic vision and an “eye” for an image which will set them apart from others. Their attention to detail will also be invaluable in creating that unique photograph just for you.
- They have professional equipment which is regularly maintained, serviced and upgraded when necessary.
- They do this everyday – its their profession and they’ve invested in education and training for it.
- They use professional software and know how to use it.
- And last but by no means least – you deserve the BEST!
I am an active member of various professional Associations and Societies, the Societies or SWPP, the Master Photographers Association or MPA, the National Photographic Society or NPS and The Guild of Photographers or just The Guild. There is a wealth of knowledge, support and educational training available within these bodies which is invaluable. We learn, flourish and improve only by receiving critique and feedback on the images we produce and move forward with our skill and expertise by learning new ones.
Each of these organisations run monthly competitions with various categories. They are all extremely important to help you see what your fellow photographers are producing, new ideas and whether your images fit well with the company they keep!
This month, I was ecstatic to find out I had been awarded a Gold and 2 Highly Commended Awards from the NPS in the monthly competition. Apart from dancing around the room when I found out, it was even more poignant as all three images had come from one studio session. Consistency in quality and production of work is the key when it comes to hiring a professional photographer. Here are the images for you to enjoy. If you’re looking to hire a photographer for either a social occasion, a family portrait or a commercial venture, please do not hesitate to get in touch.